Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Few Timeless Tales

Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm 
A New English Version  
Edited and Annotated by Philip Pullman

My rating on a 100-point scale: 92

Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version   Although I'm thoroughly interested in fairy tales, folk tales and all, this book got a little old for me about half-way through. The title is misleading because they are not only fairy tales - there are folk tales, fables, and even a creation myth or two. So I believe the title should be more simply Tales from the Brothers Grimm, since that more accurately describes what it contains.
   The tales are well-written for the most part, though there are a few technical errors (till instead of until or 'til, round instead of around, etc). What bothered me most about this collection though, are the notes that Pullman made after each tale. As someone who has studied these kinds of tales a little in college, I feel like Pullman was a little condescending in his notes. I felt like he was trying to belittle me into believing what he does about them. I didn't like that.
   I probably would have purchased this book for my collection, had the library not had it. Now I know that Pullman kind of ruins it for me, and know not to get this version. He may not ruin these timeless tales for everyone like he did for me, but it's not going on my bookshelf anymore. I think I'll stick with the originals, though these are pretty close.
   The high rating is because I enjoy these tales so much. I can't rate them less than that, despite what Pullman says about them.

This book is not suggested for ages ten and under due to gore and horror. The original tales were not pretty like Disney, for those of you who may not already be aware. 

1 comment:

  1. Ηеyа i am fοr thе fiгst time here.

    I fοund this boаrd and Ι to fіnԁ
    Іt reаlly helpful & it helρеd me out much.
    I am hoρing to ρrοvide one thing bасk and aid оthers likе you helped mе.


    Also visit my ωebpage ... may tinh

    ReplyDelete