Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Classic

Image borrowed from http://www.repeatfanzine.co.uk/Reviews
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

My rating on a 100-point scale: 98

     When I read books considered to be classics, I am always a little disappointed. I think this is because everyone who likes these books tends to raise them up to such a high level with their praise that the books can't possibly live up to the expectations. Wuthering Heights, as well as Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice, though both great books that are very well written , both fall into my category of Classic Slight Disappointments. 
     As an example, in the comedy movie The Proposal, Sandra Bullock's character mentions that her favorite book is Wuthering Heights and that she reads it every year during the holidays. Though this is only a character in a movie, being someone's favorite book to the extent of taking time out to read that one book every year is fascinating. And that may have been a deciding factor when I was looking for my next book. I had to subconsciously, if not consciously, ask myself, "What book is so good to read so consistently?" and the search for the answer is a reason I have now read Wuthering Heights.
     I do believe that this novel was the only one ever written by Emily Bronte, and this may also be another good reason why it is raised so high in the public eye. 
     Do not get me wrong, this novel was a delight to read. It is very well written, although the story is told by a character who hears the story from another character, who gets half of her information through other characters. So the author's choice of point of view is a little questionable, though I suppose the reason for this was to make the story as believable as possible. And this story has everything a reader would want: romance, tragedy, a villain or two, a gossip, a few ghosts, a few nosy narrators, you name it. But what is most intriguing, I think, is the one choice that makes this novel sad: that of a girl in love to choose money and respect over the man she loves and a life with him (oh yeah, that could be a spoiler). Why she does this is the reason some people are so interested in this novel, I think. But I have the answer in this question: Why would someone choose a stable relationship and life over a life of love and possible instability with someone who has no background but that of a family who rejected him? My answer: because she was thinking with her head, and not her heart, and who can blame her but the man she loved and left behind.
     This novel is a tragic love story, one that tells what happens when love isn't chosen over a stable and respected life. One that shows what can happen when the people left behind get bitter instead of moving on to other things. This isn't a happily-ever-after story, this is a what-really-happens-instead story. This novel isn't one teen girls will swoon over, this is one for adults who know how love is, and how life is, and how people are in real life. I recommend it for anyone who likes a good believable tale. 

This novel has no restricting content per se, but I wouldn't suggest it for anyone twelve and under due to adult situations and villainous actions. I just don't know how to phrase that any better...

No comments:

Post a Comment